Thursday, September 24, 2015

Grandma's Apple Pie Filling



Grandma came to stay with us the summer of 1978 in Colorado, I was able to spend quite a bit of time with her as she cooked for us.

One of the things she made was an apple pie. I have already posted her pie crust recipe, but when I asked about her pie filling,she said she didn't  really measure, but to grab a paper and pen and write down what she did.

Since my husband is a Type 1 (Juvenile type) diabetic I use about 1/2 cup sugar substitute instead. We just don't need it super sweet. You can adjust the sugar to your own taste.

So here, from my files is Grandma's pie recipe:

Grandma's Apple Pie Filling
Ingredients
5-6 Apples, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 - 1 cup sugar
3 Tablespoons Tapioca Powder (you know that little red box of pudding powder)

Directions:
Roll out one pie crust into bottom of a pie tin or cast iron skillet
In a large bowl mix together all pie filling ingredients.
Pour into the pie tin.
Top with top crust and crimp the edges together with the bottom crust
Bake 375° for 1 hour until crust is lightly browned and flaky and apples are tender.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.